BarCharts, Inc. is founded by the husband-and-wife team of John and Bobbie Ford in Boca Raton, Florida.
- Bobbie is studying for her bar exam when she takes the main ideas/principles of Constitutional Law and creates a diagram in flow-chart format that follows the course. She shows the flow chart to her classmates, and they love it.
- John takes the idea of flow-chart format course outlines/reference charts and presents it to law school bookstores—the response is overwhelming and BarCharts, Inc. is formed.
BarCharts expands product offerings to include not only law titles but undergraduate-level titles as well.
- An initial group of 13 undergraduate-level academic titles are produced, including: Algebra, American History 1, Biology, Chemistry, and English Grammar & Punctuation—all titles that become perennial best sellers.
- BarCharts begins to laminate the charts, now referring to them as “quick reference” guides.
With the expanded title mix comes increased distribution—no longer just law school bookstores but now all kinds of bookstores.
- BarCharts also receives a brand name: All reference guides are now officially called QuickStudy®.
A year of exciting firsts for BarCharts:
- The company releases its first titles in poster size: Anatomy and Periodic Table: Advanced.
- In addition, BarCharts expands into the corporate sector with the release of reference guides for Microsoft Windows 95.
BarCharts has its first international presence with sales in Canada.
With the hiring of the first academic sales rep group, the company calls on college and trade bookstores and QuickStudy® explodes into the academic world.
- BarCharts also expands its presence in the corporate market by developing a foothold in the office supply channel.
Inc. magazine names BarCharts one of the fastest growing privately held companies in the U.S. The company is also acknowledged by Ernst & Young in its entrepreneur’s consumer product category.
- BarCharts, Inc. goes global with its first licensing agreement for Latin American distribution (with Grupo Patria Cultural).
Expanding its corporate product line, BarCharts reaches beyond its laminated guides and creates the multimedia product QuickTrain™—computer tutorials that train individuals to use 300 software applications.
With the release of QuickStudy® flash cards, BarCharts begins producing non-laminated academic products, too.
- The first flash card line offers: Spanish Vocabulary, French Vocabulary, Medical Abbreviations, and Medical Terminology.
BarCharts next develops and produces a line of Nifty Knowledge Fold-Outs™—a combination of information and personalized greeting card, because “knowledge is a gift”.
With its ever-expanding offering of new academic products, BarCharts releases its first QuickStudy® Booklets (eight titles) and the QuickStudy® Atlas of Human Anatomy (incorporating 15 body systems in a single, full-color volume).
- BarCharts expands its offerings of sports titles with a co-branding partnership with Golf Digest, featuring four guides dedicated to golf.
- BarCharts receives the second place award for best vendors from Mail Boxes Etc. and The UPS Stores.
With the release of QuickStudy® Wall Maps (The World and The United States), BarCharts continues its tradition of exceeding customers’ expectations.
Release of seven new flash card titles further broadens BarCharts' academic line.
Ten additional “Fundamentals” titles geared toward grades 5 through 8 brings the series to 14 titles in math, English, and science, with future releases in history, reading, and Spanish offered in spring 2010.
BarCharts releases 80 titles, making 2010 the year BarCharts releases more titles than ever before!
BarCharts turns 20! While some companies are pulling back in this economy, BarCharts is moving forward, full steam ahead, releasing over 70 titles.
- BarCharts releases the QuickStudy® Quizzer™ series, which incorporates the best-selling study guides with over 100 test questions and answers. “Study It, Quiz It, Master It.”
BarCharts continues to expand its QuickStudy® digital offerings with over 75 new titles and adds more digital distributors.
Some of the company's digital partners include:
- CourseSmart, Blio, Follett Library Resources, Copia, OverDrive, and Xplana.
BarCharts’ best-selling line of medical products continues to grow!
- Introducing the Nursing: Student & Career Reference book—“it's like having your own personal nursing coach by your
- The company is also expanding its anatomical posters to include Muscular, Skeletal, and The Spine.
- Our new Common Core Laminated Standards series focuses on helping K-12 teachers easily transition their lesson plans in union with Common Core State Standards.
- BarCharts releases the QuickStudy® Easel, which offers a hands-free alternative to the QuickStudy® guide. Developed with the busy student or professional in mind, we've incorporated some of our best-selling guides into a free-standing easel for effortless reference.